Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ephesians 6, 2 John 1 and Face Book




Only recently have I made effort to observe Facebook, the social network.  This occurred after my niece, who carries a worthy Ph.D commented to me that if I wanted to know what was really going on with my children, that I would log in to Facebook.  When I tried it several years ago, it did not interest me at all.  My niece however pricked my curiosity.  I started observing last November/December time frame and managed to enjoy a few postings, but for the most part, I was not amused.  

For those who have not experienced this phenomenon, let me just say that it is a venue where people will say things hiding behind their computer, that they would not say to a person’s face.  Very much like the confines of an automobile…that is when a person speaks to the person in the other car, they can’t be heard, so they say things they would never say in hearing distance.  Well, with Face Book, it is even better.  They don’t see you or hear you.  All you know about them is what they tell you.  So, some people tend to forget they are addressing real live persons.  A recent news article stated that Face  Book has been a contributing factor in divorces, especially late age divorces.  

But that is not what this is all about.  What this is all about: some of the stuff that is posted on Face Book to enlighten us is the very stuff that Scripture tells us to get away from.  I stopped joining the conversations on two different threads because both turned out to be arguments, not discussions.  The first that I ceased to be involved with, was very secular and became a burden because I got tired of being challenged to “prove” YHVH rules over all.  Of hundreds of respondents on that thread, only one person spoke up and supported the Word. No big deal, I didn’t belong there anyway.  The second on-going dialog that I stopped responding to was very much scripturally based.  Many people believing in Yahshua and YHVH.  Many very open minded and accepting people to different points of view.  But However Comma when the discussion would get in depth, there was always someone who condemned, argued, and found nothing but fault. A person  unwilling to just participate.  Instead, was determined to berate and condemn others for their beliefs.  Well, I got emotionally put off.  I found this to be more offensive than the secular thread, where I expected the condemnation.  After telling myself that I was finished with Face Book and did not really have the time to research for discussion, etc.  along comes an alarm from many people.   It seems the owners of Face Book were permitting an Islamic type forum that was proposing the death and destruction of all Israel and the Jewish people.  The first time I saw this article was not from Face Book. I received it from AISH.com!  I next saw it and many other writings on Face Book and that is when I decided to vote with my feet.  The best way to take a product off the market is to not support the product. I posted that statement and others agreed with me.  However, I wonder how many stopped using the product (facebook)?   In 2 John 1 verse 8 – 11, we are told ;   8 Watch yourselves, so that you won't lose what you have worked for, but will receive your full reward. 9 Everyone who goes ahead and does not remain true to what the Messiah has taught does not have God. Those who remain true to his teaching have both the Father and the Son. 10 If someone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, don't welcome him into your home. Don't even say, "Shalom!" to him11 for the person who says, "Shalom!" to him shares in his evil deeds.  (From the Complete Jewish Bible)
In Ephesians 6 Verses 11 – 13,  we are encouraged to   11 Use all the armor and weaponry that God provides, so that you will be able to stand against the deceptive tactics of the Adversary. 12 For we are not struggling against human beings, but against the rulers, authorities and cosmic powers governing this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realm. 13 So take up every piece of war equipment God provides; so that when the evil day comes, you will be able to resist; and when the battle is won, you will still be standing(again, from the CJB).  

I am not telling anyone to shut down their social networks.  But, I just cannot see any sense in sitting with a computer on, carrying out a serious conversation that does not include seeing the eyes of the other person, hearing their breath, sensing their emotions and feeling their closeness.  This is one of the many reasons why this blog is such a challenge.  No one knows if I am very relaxed, smiling and just had a fantastic meal, or I am pressed, exhausted and just ate a cold sandwich with a hot beer!  I have learned that my curiosity can be my downfall.  I pray to let my curiosity be about the Word, which can be trusted and therefore uplifting.  Nothing good can come from the natural man, only from our Heavenly Father.  Shalom and be blessed beyond measure.

P.S. I am relaxed, physically tired, full of food, and smiling. Yes, the beverage was cold. Thanks for asking….

Love you all, Frankly Speaking a/k/a Pinchas!

3 comments:

  1. People have tried for years to get me to do a facebook... just not interested in all the drama =) Great post, Pinchus! Echoing your prayer:
    "I pray to let my curiosity be about the Word, which can be trusted and therefore uplifting. "
    shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that the blog-writer's comments are his own thoughts on his journey of faith. My journey, and my thoughts have a bit of a different twist to them.

    I see the social networks as opportunities to spread the good news. Facebook, Twitter, et al present the great un-churched masses. If the Disciples stayed only within their own precincts twenty centuries ago, rather than traveling to India, Europe, Africa and beyond, the faith and the way to employ our faith would have died out long ago. Messiah's last directive was, "Go, make disciples of all nations." In trying to follow that command, we're going to get dirty. Our spiritual clothes are going to reek from the contamination of the world. But in doing so, we are "striving earnestly for the faith once delivered to the saints."

    That being said, FB and the rest are not for everybody. One of the things I have learned along the way, is that not everyone has the same ministry or the same anointing. Unlike our dance team leader at shul, I do not have the head to listen to a dozen music CDs a week. While others may get catatonically nervous making dinner for 100, I'm in my element.

    So to use the scriptures as an excuse for not speaking with the desperately lost ... well I don't buy it. I will however give you this: Scripture tells us to brush the dirt off our feet if they will not receive the message. Or in the words of Kenny Rogers, "you've got to know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em; know when to walk away; know when to run."

    Social networks are part of the communications progression. I'm sure there are those that thought that the telephone -- or better yet, the princess style telephone, it's little, it's lovely, it lights -- were works of the devil. You could talk, but not face to face. You had to learn a new skill: listening to vocal inflections, rather than reading faces. FB et al requires a different skill set. Communicating with black letters on a white page eloquently. It's the fine art of letter writing revisited. The fact that some bimbo leaves their mate for some other bimbo, or that a tribal war ignites because people are rude or insensitive has nothing to do with FB, it has more to do with distance from Torah and rude insensitive people.

    Respectfully submitted, and with a twinkle in my eye, I remain, very truly yours! gcb

    ReplyDelete
  3. GCB; thank you for your comments. I was wondering when FB would be defended. Remember, I did not say to shut down FB... my concern was that people get very brave when they do not have to face someone up front. The apostles were able to see and hear the hecklers and deal with it. Yahshua did likewise. I take exception to your expression about using the scriptures as an excuse for not speaking with the desperately lost ...I merely used the Scriptures as you stated and dusted my sandals. Again, thank you for your insightful comments. Sincerely and with warm regards, Pinchas

    ReplyDelete