Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Maccabeans and Memorial Day





This past week most of us took notice of the Memorial Day celebrations throughout the country. Some of us even know what it  is all about.  This is a time for joy and sadness for me. I play John Philip Sousa loud; and tear up when the flag is honored. This year was a bit more emotional than in the past.  This year I focused on what the Maccabeans must have gone through as I was watching videos and reading documents that have been unearthed by my youngest son concerning the death of my younger brother forty-three years ago on a field in Viet Nam.

Similar to the goal of the Maccabeans, who were fighting for freedom to assemble and worship, forty-three years ago men were fighting to break the yoke of tyranny so others could have freedom and worship in their own choice.  Also, similar to the tactics in the Maccabean revolt, the guerrilla tactics in Viet Nam were no different. This leads to brutal and ruthless killings.  I reference forty-three years ago, although the Viet Nam campaign was much broader, because this was the turning point.  This was Tet 68.  Just as in the turning point in the Maccabean revolt, where families rose up against each other, in 1968 this country rose up against it’s own defenders.

When we talk about Memorial Day, we generally focus on the brave military and supportive civilians who sacrificed to keep us free to worship as we choose.  We generally don’t talk about the infighting.  Over the years, I have found that many who do not realize the extent of what the celebration is about, have not experienced first hand knowledge.  This is a blessing for them. I have met a few children of servicemen who never knew their father.  I have met many people who knew members in their family served, but that is the extent of it.  And I have met people such as I, who have served, whose family has served, and members of the family have paid the ultimate sacrifice.  And I have found that we are a very quiet bunch when it comes to talking about any part of it.  So, is it no wonder that the details of the Maccabeans go unnoticed?  All they wanted was freedom of worship and to live in peace.  They did not go any further than necessary to achieve that goal.  Let us not ever forget their great achievement.  We are able to speak openly about our beliefs.  We are urged to let others do the same.  And from the Maccabees comes a long succession of Armies that have kept the hope alive.  In this era, we can easily refer back to what has been called the First and Second World War, the Korean Conflict, the Viet Nam Conflict, Desert Storm I and II, Iraq, Pakistan, and now countless others that the names slip by me.  (I do not focus on war).

I will admit to you, while I was watching videos and reading documents that have just surfaced this week concerning my brother, I have cried with deep regret and also with much joy.

The love of freedom is best expressed to me by a Jewish lady named Solomonia.  She stood fast along with her seven sons, Habim, Antonin, Guriah, Eleazar, Eusebon, Hadim and Marcellus who were very obedient.  (Macc. 2,4)  History says they were not of the Maccabees, but they believed in what the Maccabees stood for.  Through her love for her sons, and their love and obedience for their mother, they became the martyrs that turned the tide.  We have freedom to worship today.

Throughout history we can find individuals that stood firm and have enabled us to continue to talk about freedom.  But rarely do we find those willing to share the details.  It is not necessary.  That is what Memorial Day is all about.

Matthew 11:28

Be blessed. Shalom,
Pinchas a/k/a Frankly Speaking

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this difficult, though necessary post. Shalom!

    ReplyDelete