Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Imitate Him





Over the years I have heard many talks, lectures and discussions concerning the power of the tongue.  The words we use leave our mouths and go into the ether, then  land in places we know not where.   We have no idea what affect they may or may not have on someone. The common denominator of these presentations has focused on the negativity of words that can affect someone in a less than appealing manner.  Some even have gone to great lengths to teach young people the demeaning aspects of making fun of or joking about another person.  In my opinion, this behavior is typical of the culture we live in.  Our culture is quick to correct the negative.  This is a good thing. We want to raise up good persons. BHCwhen we focus more on the positive we may possibly eliminate, over time, the need to correct the negative.  To focus on the positive means that we must be as quick to recognize good deeds as we are to recognize negative ones.

This stream of thought grabbed me last evening and again this afternoon.  Yesterday I received a video of a fawn resting on the front porch of my son's home in San Antonio, TX that is only a few blocks from an interstate.  A couple of streets from a Home Depot.  This house is located in a big city but behind the house is a large preserve.  The preserve is blocked by a ten foot fence.  This baby deer found a haven on the small front porch.  I was moved.  The tenderness of the fawn was captivating.  This tenderness was matched by the kindness of the person who passed the video to me.   Receiving that moment of gentleness at a time when I was concerned about many events I am involved in this week, put a check in my Spirit.  I realized in just a couple of moments, that I have no problems.  Was this young baby deer alone without a Mama?  How will the people ensure safety for the fawn? And on and on and on.  Then I received word of a person I have grown close to being in hospital suddenly.  Now everything that was on my plate was not important.  Along with my wife, I go to the hospital and we show our love and concern.  What a blessing that little trip was. Went to see one person and ended up visiting with two persons, not counting the hug from a nurse whom I have not seen in several years. The discussions were at times very light and humorous and then there were the sustained moments of deep discussion about love, life, Torah and how blessed we all are who choose to grab hold of the hem of the garment and follow our Creator. 

This event had me doing some real soul searching.   Returning home, I observed that which I could see and also that which I could only see through faith.  I saw His miracles as I looked at the fish in the pond, the plants that survived the winter, the cats enjoying the sun and all that about me that He created.  I also observed the kind acts that have taken place in the last few hours.  The unwritten and visibly unseen; the love and caring of so many people; at the hospital, at the restaurant, on the sidewalk, everywhere!

Have you noticed that those who are grounded in the Word and are Torah compliant, are always quick to praise and very gentle when correcting?  Some may not even realize how Torah is being displayed in their lives.  A young man commented to me this afternoon that when he reads the Bible, the New Testament, he sees more and more the need to learn the Old Testament.  What a revelation.  Have you noticed those who are “in Torah” do not tell others how to live?  They share the events of their own lives and how they manage to always be happy and engulfed in shalom. They are always willing to reach out and encourage without bashing and chastising. 

This day I learned to focus more on the unspoken kindness of others; to conscientiously strive to see and accept the kindness of others; to fully believe that praising the positive will eliminate the need to correct the negative.  Within time, negative events may just dissipate into thin air.

One of the things on my plate last night--What am I going to write for a blog?   For this week I think my blog will be a hug to the one who showed me the calm, relaxed, and loving deer that was all alone on a porch.  The deer that prepared me for all the events of this day.  But, was the deer alone?  The deer that granted me peace.  Our Father is Awesome! 

Eph. 5:1,2

Shalom, be blessed

Pinchas a/k/a Frankly Speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment