Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I will send you Eliyahu

"Moshe" confronts "Pharaoh", Pesach Seder 5771/2011


I will send to you Eliyahu...He will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to their fathers

Mal 4: 4 "Remember the Torah of Moshe my servant, which I enjoined on him at Horev, laws and rulings for all Isra'el. 5 Look, I will send to you Eliyahu the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible Day of ADONAI. 6 He will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to their fathers; otherwise I will come and strike the land with 
complete destruction.

When I was young I was taught to never ever start a sentence about ‘me’…in other words, do not start with “I”…Sorry, Mrs. Wellman, I have kept your teaching since third grade…but now…I feel guilty for this because for some reason I am explaining that I am breaking Mrs. Wellman’s rule)…

Please forgive me Mrs. Wellman, of blessed memory ....

I have experienced quite a few Seders… and I have been awestruck with all the pomp at some Seders and the circumstance at others.  But, this past Seder was beyond belief.  I have been floating on air having witnessed what took place.  I am having a hard time even getting my words together to express the delight I experienced throughout the entire event.  I am hoping we will be able to upload the video for the entire world to see… not of the full three hours of the Seder, but of the presentation by the Torah Warriors (Young People) where they told through demonstration, the Exodus from Egypt.  The “children” taught the parents what we are all about.  They truly turned their hearts to their fathers and their father’s hearts were turned toward them.  It was most amazing how so many people from such a diverse age group could come together and within half an hour, tell the Exodus story.  No Haggadah here… only Scripture ... event after event.  The visual interpretation by the young people was the best Haggadah we could ask for.

Let us not forget all the hours of study and the loving discipline from the parents who brought this evening about.  Having the patience and vision to incorporate a couple of dozen people from age six to beyond sixteen is indicative of love for one another.  To keep the enthusiasm, the zeal, the zest is remarkable.  One night I looked in during practice. I was asked if I was being delayed because they were so busy.  Of course I said that I wasn’t.  The children joyfully yelled, "Good!! then lets rehearse one more time!"  And they did.  What a thrill to see young people wanting the truth of the Word.  And even more thrilling, when we got to the Seder meal, and the readings were taking place, the young people read right along. Each one taking their turn as the verses were presented.

At Passover each year, during the Seder, some readings call for Eliyahu to come and take his place that is set for him.  From the events that took place, it seems that at our Seder, without calling, Eliyahu beat us to the table.

Todah Rabah to all of you for what you do.

P.S.  How many red marks do I get for starting a sentence with “I”? 

Shalom
Pinchas a/k/a Frankly Speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment